
-
PSG eye becoming France's first 'Invincibles'
-
Late birdie burst lifts Ryder to Texas Open lead
-
Five potential Grand National fairytale endings
-
Trump purges national security team after meeting conspiracist
-
More work for McIlroy even with two wins before Masters
-
Trump hopeful of 'great' PGA-LIV golf merger
-
No.1 Scheffler goes for third Masters crown in four years
-
Where Trump's tariffs could hurt Americans' wallets
-
Trump says 'very close to a deal' on TikTok
-
Trump tariffs on Mexico: the good, the bad, the unknown
-
Postecoglou denies taunting Spurs fans in Chelsea defeat
-
Oscar-winning Palestinian director speaks at UN on Israeli settlements
-
With tariff war, Trump also reshapes how US treats allies
-
Fernandez fires Chelsea into fourth as pressure mounts on Postecoglou
-
South Korea court to decide impeached president's fate
-
Penguin memes take flight after Trump tariffs remote island
-
E.T., no home: Original model of movie alien doesn't sell at auction
-
Italy's Brignone has surgery on broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Trump defiant as tariffs send world markets into panic
-
City officials vote to repair roof on home of MLB Rays
-
Rockets forward Brooks gets one-game NBA ban for technicals
-
Pentagon watchdog to probe defense chief over Signal chat row
-
US tariffs could push up inflation, slow growth: Fed official
-
New Bruce Springsteen music set for June 27 release
-
Tom Cruise pays tribute to Val Kilmer
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's tariffs list
-
Zuckerberg repeats Trump visits in bid to settle antitrust case
-
US fencer disqualified for not facing transgender rival
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
Italy's Brignone suffers broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Iyer blitz powers Kolkata to big IPL win over Hyderabad
-
Russian soprano Netrebko to return to London's Royal Opera House
-
French creche worker gets 25 years for killing baby with drain cleaner
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Ruud wants 'fair share' of Grand Slam revenue for players
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Gaza heritage and destruction on display in Paris
-
'Unprecedented crisis' in Africa healthcare: report
-
Pogacar gunning for blood and thunder in Tour of Flanders
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Wall St leads rout as world reels from Trump tariffs
-
Mullins gets perfect National boost with remarkable four-timer
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Authors hold London protest against Meta for 'stealing' work to train AI
-
Tate Modern gifted 'extraordinary' work by US artist Joan Mitchell
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Tonali eager to lead Newcastle back into Champions League
-
Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa

Indonesia upholds iPhone 16 sales ban after Apple offers $1 bn investment
Indonesia on Wednesday upheld a ban on iPhone 16 sales despite Apple's $1 billion pledge to invest in the country after a negotiation deadlock, citing the company's failure to meet domestic market requirements.
Indonesia in October prohibited the marketing and sale of the iPhone 16 model over Apple's failure to meet local investment regulations requiring that 40 percent of phones be made from local parts as the country seeks to boost investments from giant tech companies.
Investment Minister Rosan Roeslani told reporters on Tuesday that Apple was fully committed to invest $1 billion to build an AirTag factory on Batam island, which was expected to supply 65 percent of the global supply.
It was unclear if the deal on the factory in the industrial zone had been signed.
"AirTag is an accessory, not a component or part of gadgets," Industry Minister Agus Gumiwang Kartasasmita told a press briefing on Wednesday, referring to the Apple tracking device.
"Until this afternoon, the ministry doesn't have any reason to issue the domestic component level certificate for Apple products, especially iPhone 16," he said.
Agus met with Apple representatives on Tuesday, but he said a deal had not been reached.
He said Indonesian officials gave Apple a counterproposal and the giant phone maker did not give an immediate answer.
"If Apple wants to sell iPhone 16 as soon as possible, the ball is in their hand, please respond to our counterproposal immediately," he said.
Apple previously offered to increase its investments in Indonesia by $100 million to lift the iPhone 16 sales ban, but the Indonesian government refused the proposal in November.
Despite the sales ban, the government allows iPhone 16s to be carried into Indonesia if they are not being traded commercially.
The government estimates about 9,000 units of the new model have entered the country that way.
Indonesia also banned the sale of Google Pixel phones for failing to meet the 40 percent parts requirement.
About 22,000 Google Pixel phones entered the country last year despite the ban.
P.M.Smith--AMWN