
-
Experts warn 'AI-written' paper is latest spin on climate change denial
-
PSG eye becoming France's first 'Invincibles'
-
Late birdie burst lifts Ryder to Texas Open lead
-
Five potential Grand National fairytale endings
-
Trump purges national security team after meeting conspiracist
-
More work for McIlroy even with two wins before Masters
-
Trump hopeful of 'great' PGA-LIV golf merger
-
No.1 Scheffler goes for third Masters crown in four years
-
Where Trump's tariffs could hurt Americans' wallets
-
Trump says 'very close to a deal' on TikTok
-
Trump tariffs on Mexico: the good, the bad, the unknown
-
Postecoglou denies taunting Spurs fans in Chelsea defeat
-
Oscar-winning Palestinian director speaks at UN on Israeli settlements
-
With tariff war, Trump also reshapes how US treats allies
-
Fernandez fires Chelsea into fourth as pressure mounts on Postecoglou
-
South Korea court to decide impeached president's fate
-
Penguin memes take flight after Trump tariffs remote island
-
E.T., no home: Original model of movie alien doesn't sell at auction
-
Italy's Brignone has surgery on broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Trump defiant as tariffs send world markets into panic
-
City officials vote to repair roof on home of MLB Rays
-
Rockets forward Brooks gets one-game NBA ban for technicals
-
Pentagon watchdog to probe defense chief over Signal chat row
-
US tariffs could push up inflation, slow growth: Fed official
-
New Bruce Springsteen music set for June 27 release
-
Tom Cruise pays tribute to Val Kilmer
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's tariffs list
-
Zuckerberg repeats Trump visits in bid to settle antitrust case
-
US fencer disqualified for not facing transgender rival
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
Italy's Brignone suffers broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Iyer blitz powers Kolkata to big IPL win over Hyderabad
-
Russian soprano Netrebko to return to London's Royal Opera House
-
French creche worker gets 25 years for killing baby with drain cleaner
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Ruud wants 'fair share' of Grand Slam revenue for players
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Gaza heritage and destruction on display in Paris
-
'Unprecedented crisis' in Africa healthcare: report
-
Pogacar gunning for blood and thunder in Tour of Flanders
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Wall St leads rout as world reels from Trump tariffs
-
Mullins gets perfect National boost with remarkable four-timer
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Authors hold London protest against Meta for 'stealing' work to train AI
-
Tate Modern gifted 'extraordinary' work by US artist Joan Mitchell
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Tonali eager to lead Newcastle back into Champions League

Experts press Swiss foundation over Nazi-era art collection
A Swiss foundation must do more to trace the provenance of works in a vast art collection acquired in questionable circumstances during World War II, a team of experts said Friday.
There has long been suspicion around the Nazi-era origins of one of Europe's most prestigious private art collections, acquired by arms dealer Emil Buhrle, who made his fortune during the war.
The German-born industrialist became a naturalised Swiss citizen in 1937. By the time he died in 1956, he had amassed around 600 artworks, including masterpieces by Cezanne, Degas, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Rembrandt, Picasso and Van Gogh.
Some had previously been looted from their Jewish owners, or sold cheaply and in haste as their owners fled the Nazis.
The Buhrle Foundation, which owns the collection, has been working to clarify the provenance of the works for years.
Its efforts came into particular focus when Kunsthaus Zurich, one of Switzerland's most prestigious art museums, agreed to permanently house the collection. Until then, it had been displayed at a private museum on the outskirts of Zurich.
The Kunsthaus has faced especially keen scrutiny since it opened a new building to house a large part of the collection in 2021.
- 'Insufficient' -
A team of experts mandated by the Zurich authorities and the museum to evaluate the foundation's research on provenance on Friday concluded that it had been "insufficient".
"Provenance research must be continued," said the team, led by renowned Swiss historian Raphael Gross, president of the German Historical Museum Foundation.
The Buhrle Foundation has confirmed that 13 paintings bought by the German-born industrialist had been stolen by the Nazis from Jewish owners in France.
Following a series of court cases after World War II ended, in the late 1940s Buhrle returned all 13 pieces to their rightful owners then repurchased nine of them, the foundation said.
But the foundation says its research over two decades concluded there were no signs of "problematic provenance" for any of the 203 works in the current collection.
Friday's expert review examined the foundation's sources, methodology, accuracy, standards and historical contextualisation.
Voicing particular concern that the foundation had categorised 90 works as unproblematic despite lacking full provenance research, the experts insisted they should all be re-examined.
The research should "concentrate on clarifying the previous Jewish ownership and persecution-related confiscation of the works", they added.
"Without the Nazi's persecution of Jews, the Buhrle Collection would never have reached the level it did," Gross reporters at a new conference, the Swiss news agency Keystone-ATS reported.
- 'Superficial' -
The experts conducted an in-depth examination of the provenance investigation conducted on five emblematic works. They research there, they said, was so "superficial that decisive indicators (were) overlooked".
One of the works, "Madame Cezanne with a Fan" by Paul Cezanne, had belonged to the US writer, poet and art collector Gertrude Stein, who was living in Nazi-occupied France.
"Gertrude Stein sold it to an art dealer who demonstrably exploited the plight of Jewish refugees," it said. "The provenance of this work has not yet been sufficiently researched".
The experts urged the Kunsthaus to set up an interdisciplinary panel to create a scheme for examining all art in its own collection and on long-term loan that could potentially be linked to Nazi-related confiscations.
The report also suggested the museum conduct a further debate, if possible a public one, about the Buhrle collection and the museum's association with his name.
L.Harper--AMWN