
-
Amorim in a 'rush' to succeed at Man Utd
-
PSG coach Luis Enrique targets unbeaten season
-
Duterte victims seeking 'truth and justice': lawyer
-
US job growth strong in March but Trump tariff impact still to come
-
UK comedian and actor Russell Brand charged with rape
-
Stocks, oil slump as China retaliates and Trump digs in heels
-
Postecoglou 'falling out of love' with football due to VAR
-
EU hails 'new era' in relations with Central Asia
-
US hiring beats expectations in March as tariff uncertainty brews
-
'Unique' De Bruyne one of the greats, says Guardiola
-
Automakers shift gears after Trump tariffs
-
Where things stand in the US-China trade war
-
De Bruyne to leave Man City at end of the season
-
Youthful Matildas provide spark in friendly win over South Korea
-
Stocks, oil extend rout as China retaliates over Trump tariffs
-
De Bruyne says he will leave Man City at end of season
-
UK spy agency MI5 reveals fruity secrets in new show
-
Leverkusen's Wirtz to return 'next week', says Alonso
-
England bowler Stone to miss most of India Test series
-
Taiwan earmarks $2.7 bn to help industries hit by US tariffs
-
Rat earns world record for sniffing landmines in Cambodia
-
Elton John says new album 'freshest' since 1970s
-
EU announces 'new era' in relations with Central Asia
-
Greece nixes Acropolis shoot for 'Poor Things' director
-
'Historic moment': South Koreans react to Yoon's dismissal
-
Israel kills Hamas commander in Lebanon strike
-
Trump unveils first $5 million 'gold card' visa
-
Crashes, fires as Piastri fastest in chaotic second Japan GP practice
-
India and Bangladesh leaders meet for first time since revolution
-
Israel expands ground offensive in Gaza
-
Families of Duterte drug war victims demand probe into online threats
-
Stocks extend global rout after Trump's shock tariff blitz
-
Kolkata's Iyer more bothered about impact than price tag
-
BP chairman to step down after energy strategy reset
-
Indian patriotic movie 'icon' Manoj Kumar dies aged 87
-
China floats battle barges in Taiwan invasion plans
-
McLaren's Piastri fastest in chaotic second Japanese GP practice
-
South Korea seize two tons of cocaine in largest-ever drug bust
-
Pacific nations perplexed, worried by Trump tariffs
-
The race to save the Amazon's bushy-bearded monkeys
-
TikTok must find non-Chinese owner by Saturday to avert US ban
-
Trump tariffs to test resiliency of US consumers
-
Clamping down on 'forever chemicals'
-
Prominent US academic facing royal insult charge in Thailand
-
Yana, a 130,000-year-old baby mammoth, goes under the scalpel
-
'Don't want to die': Lesotho HIV patients look to traditional medicine
-
Curry scores 37 as Warriors outgun LeBron's Lakers
-
Crops under threat as surprise March heatwave hits Central Asia: study
-
Japan PM says Trump tariffs a 'national crisis'
-
Security 'breakdown' allows armed men into Melbourne's MCG
CMSC | -0.61% | 22.126 | $ | |
BTI | -2.75% | 40.8 | $ | |
RIO | -6.26% | 54.99 | $ | |
RYCEF | -13.29% | 8.65 | $ | |
RBGPF | 1.48% | 69.02 | $ | |
VOD | -6.63% | 8.787 | $ | |
AZN | -5.15% | 70.3 | $ | |
NGG | -2% | 68.03 | $ | |
SCS | -2.92% | 10.435 | $ | |
GSK | -4.75% | 37.24 | $ | |
JRI | -3.72% | 12.36 | $ | |
CMSD | -0.93% | 22.46 | $ | |
BP | -9.27% | 28.68 | $ | |
BCC | -3.97% | 91.02 | $ | |
RELX | -3.5% | 49.7 | $ | |
BCE | 1.05% | 22.9 | $ |

Malaysia's top badminton star banned after quitting national team
Malaysian badminton ace Lee Zii Jia, ranked seventh in the world, was Friday banned from tournaments for two years as a punishment for quitting his national team to go independent.
Lee has been held up as the heir to Malaysian legend Lee Chong Wei, rising rapidly up the rankings and scoring a breakthrough victory at the prestigious All England Open last year.
Following some poor performances in recent months, including at the Olympics, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) disclosed this week he had quit the body and wanted to play as an independent.
But the association refused to back the move, instead deciding to punish him with a two-year ban from all tournaments sanctioned by world governing body the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
BWF sanctions the vast majority of tournaments on the badminton calendar, and each country's association is responsible for registering its players -- meaning the Malaysian body can effectively block Lee from competing.
BAM said the 23-year-old had cited "the pressure of being in the national side" and the "regimented lifestyle" at Malaysia's badminton academy as reasons for quitting.
The body sought to persuade him to stay during talks but ultimately decided they could not agreed to his demands, which included having his own team of coaches and support staff.
"Obviously we feel extremely sad" about Lee's decision, BAM deputy president Jahaberdeen Mohamed Yunoos told reporters, adding it could affect training programmes and the body's finances.
But he added the player can appeal to return.
Lee, previously seen as one of Malaysia's best hopes of winning the country's first ever Olympic gold medal, has yet to comment publicly since news emerged he was cutting ties with BAM.
World number one Viktor Axelsen of Denmark earlier this week voiced support for Lee's decision to go independent, tweeting that "it's his career and his life after all".
The BWF has not commented specifically on Lee's case.
But in a statement Thursday, its secretary general Thomas Lund noted there was a precedent of independent players and a country's member association reaching an agreement whereby the association submits entries into tournaments for the players.
Badminton is one of the few sports in which Malaysia performs well internationally.
Three-time Olympic silver medallist Lee Chong Wei, who retired in 2019, was one of the greatest players of his generation.
O.Johnson--AMWN