
-
Where things stand in the US-China trade war
-
De Bruyne to leave Man City at end of the season
-
Youthful Matildas provide spark in friendly win over South Korea
-
Stocks, oil extend rout as China retaliates over Trump tariffs
-
De Bruyne says he will leave Man City at end of season
-
UK spy agency MI5 reveals fruity secrets in new show
-
Leverkusen's Wirtz to return 'next week', says Alonso
-
England bowler Stone to miss most of India Test series
-
Taiwan earmarks $2.7 bn to help industries hit by US tariffs
-
Rat earns world record for sniffing landmines in Cambodia
-
Elton John says new album 'freshest' since 1970s
-
EU announces 'new era' in relations with Central Asia
-
Greece nixes Acropolis shoot for 'Poor Things' director
-
'Historic moment': South Koreans react to Yoon's dismissal
-
Israel kills Hamas commander in Lebanon strike
-
Trump unveils first $5 million 'gold card' visa
-
Crashes, fires as Piastri fastest in chaotic second Japan GP practice
-
India and Bangladesh leaders meet for first time since revolution
-
Israel expands ground offensive in Gaza
-
Families of Duterte drug war victims demand probe into online threats
-
Stocks extend global rout after Trump's shock tariff blitz
-
Kolkata's Iyer more bothered about impact than price tag
-
BP chairman to step down after energy strategy reset
-
Indian patriotic movie 'icon' Manoj Kumar dies aged 87
-
China floats battle barges in Taiwan invasion plans
-
McLaren's Piastri fastest in chaotic second Japanese GP practice
-
South Korea seize two tons of cocaine in largest-ever drug bust
-
Pacific nations perplexed, worried by Trump tariffs
-
The race to save the Amazon's bushy-bearded monkeys
-
TikTok must find non-Chinese owner by Saturday to avert US ban
-
Trump tariffs to test resiliency of US consumers
-
Clamping down on 'forever chemicals'
-
Prominent US academic facing royal insult charge in Thailand
-
Yana, a 130,000-year-old baby mammoth, goes under the scalpel
-
'Don't want to die': Lesotho HIV patients look to traditional medicine
-
Curry scores 37 as Warriors outgun LeBron's Lakers
-
Crops under threat as surprise March heatwave hits Central Asia: study
-
Japan PM says Trump tariffs a 'national crisis'
-
Security 'breakdown' allows armed men into Melbourne's MCG
-
Norris fastest in Japan GP first practice, Tsunoda sixth on Red Bull debut
-
Albon says Thailand taking bid for F1 race 'very seriously'
-
'It's gone': conservation science in Thailand's burning forest
-
Protest as quake-hit Myanmar junta chief joins Bangkok summit
-
EU leaders push for influence at Central Asia summit
-
Asian stocks extend global rout after Trump's shock tariff blitz
-
Lewandowski, Mbappe duel fuelling tight La Liga title race
-
South Korea court upholds President Yoon's impeachment, strips him of office
-
Liverpool march towards title as Man City face Man Utd
-
Finland's colossal bomb shelters a model for jittery Europe
-
Athletes frustrated as France mulls Muslim headscarf ban in sport

Iranian-Swedish dissident tried in Tehran for 'terrorism'
The trial of Iranian-Swedish dissident Habib Chaab started in Tehran on Tuesday, state television showed, with charges including terrorism and "spreading corruption on earth" punishable by the death sentence.
Chaab, in his late forties, has been held in Iran since late 2020 after he disappeared during a visit to Turkey.
He has previously appeared in a video, broadcast by Iranian state television, in which he claimed responsibility for launching an attack and working with Saudi intelligence services.
"He is accused of spreading corruption on earth through the formation, management and leadership of a group called the Arab Struggle Movement for the Liberation of Ahvaz, and planning and carrying out terrorist operations and destroying public property," the prosecutor's representative said.
State television showed recorded footage of the session that ran for almost an hour, a rare occurrence in Iranian courts.
Tehran designates the Arab Struggle Movement for the Liberation of Ahvaz (ASMLA) a terrorist group, and blames it for a string of attacks in the southwestern Khuzestan province.
The group carried out "bombings at government and public centres, espionage, armed attacks and acts against national security", leading to the death and injury of 74 Iranians, the prosecutor's representative added.
Dressed in blue striped prisoner's pyjamas, the bearded Chaab wore a mask as a coronavirus precaution. He listened for almost an hour to the accusations made by the prosecution.
Behind him sat men and women carrying pictures of relatives who lost their lives in attacks he's accused of, the presiding judge said.
- Sweden denied consular access -
The accusations against Chaab are based on "the Ministry of Intelligence investigation, the accused's confessions, and the available evidence," the prosecutor's representative said. Chaab has a lawyer and is physically and mentally healthy, he added.
Chaab was a dissident living in exile in Sweden and was granted Swedish nationality, but Iran does not recognise dual nationality for its nationals.
"We are in contact with representatives of Iran. We have requested, but have not been granted by Iran, consular access," Sweden's foreign ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.
"Iran's stated position is that they view Habib Chaab as only an Iranian citizen and therefore view the case as an Iranian internal matter. We do not share the view stated by Iran," the statement added.
The prosecution charged that, in addition to the accused, other leaders of the group are based in Europe including in Denmark, The Netherlands and Sweden, with the financial and logistical support of Saudi Arabia.
The group's main objective was "the disintegration of the Iranian province of Khuzestan", the prosecution said.
Oil-rich Khuzestan has a large Arab minority which has complained of being marginalised by the authorities.
Videos shown in court purportedly showed some of the movement's activities including masked armed men training, and an alleged member setting fire to a bank.
The trial continues, with the date of the next hearing yet to be set, the judge said.
Chaab disappeared during a visit to Turkey in October 2020 and a month later appeared on Iran's state television. He claimed responsibility for an attack in September 2018 on a military parade in the city of Ahvaz that killed at least 29 people.
Such videos are common in Iran, and are frequently condemned by rights groups, arguing that they are often obtained under duress.
In December 2020, Turkish authorities announced the arrest of 11 people suspected of spying and involvement in his alleged kidnapping on behalf of Iran.
J.Oliveira--AMWN