
-
'Frightening': US restaurants, producers face tariff whiplash
-
Cuba looks to sun to solve its energy crisis
-
Experts warn 'AI-written' paper is latest spin on climate change denial
-
PSG eye becoming France's first 'Invincibles'
-
Late birdie burst lifts Ryder to Texas Open lead
-
Five potential Grand National fairytale endings
-
Trump purges national security team after meeting conspiracist
-
More work for McIlroy even with two wins before Masters
-
Trump hopeful of 'great' PGA-LIV golf merger
-
No.1 Scheffler goes for third Masters crown in four years
-
Where Trump's tariffs could hurt Americans' wallets
-
Trump says 'very close to a deal' on TikTok
-
Trump tariffs on Mexico: the good, the bad, the unknown
-
Postecoglou denies taunting Spurs fans in Chelsea defeat
-
Oscar-winning Palestinian director speaks at UN on Israeli settlements
-
With tariff war, Trump also reshapes how US treats allies
-
Fernandez fires Chelsea into fourth as pressure mounts on Postecoglou
-
South Korea court to decide impeached president's fate
-
Penguin memes take flight after Trump tariffs remote island
-
E.T., no home: Original model of movie alien doesn't sell at auction
-
Italy's Brignone has surgery on broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Trump defiant as tariffs send world markets into panic
-
City officials vote to repair roof on home of MLB Rays
-
Rockets forward Brooks gets one-game NBA ban for technicals
-
Pentagon watchdog to probe defense chief over Signal chat row
-
US tariffs could push up inflation, slow growth: Fed official
-
New Bruce Springsteen music set for June 27 release
-
Tom Cruise pays tribute to Val Kilmer
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's tariffs list
-
Zuckerberg repeats Trump visits in bid to settle antitrust case
-
US fencer disqualified for not facing transgender rival
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
Italy's Brignone suffers broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Iyer blitz powers Kolkata to big IPL win over Hyderabad
-
Russian soprano Netrebko to return to London's Royal Opera House
-
French creche worker gets 25 years for killing baby with drain cleaner
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Ruud wants 'fair share' of Grand Slam revenue for players
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Gaza heritage and destruction on display in Paris
-
'Unprecedented crisis' in Africa healthcare: report
-
Pogacar gunning for blood and thunder in Tour of Flanders
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Wall St leads rout as world reels from Trump tariffs
-
Mullins gets perfect National boost with remarkable four-timer
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Authors hold London protest against Meta for 'stealing' work to train AI
-
Tate Modern gifted 'extraordinary' work by US artist Joan Mitchell

Pope in hospital for check-up: Italian media
Pope Francis visited a Rome hospital for a medical check-up on Tuesday, according to Italian media, just over two months after he was hospitalised with bronchitis.
The 86-year-old pope arrived at the Gemelli hospital's geriatric unit for tests at 10:40 am (0840 GMT) and left again at 11:20am, according to ANSA and AGI news agencies.
Neither the Vatican nor the hospital was immediately able to confirm the news to AFP.
Francis was forced to take a day off at the end of last month with a fever, which the Vatican secretary of state blamed on tiredness.
The pope does not have public audiences scheduled on Tuesdays. His general audience at the Vatican was confirmed for Wednesday, according his official schedule.
Tuesday's check-up was a planned one, the Repubblica newspaper said, citing a Vatican source.
The pontiff was undergoing specialised scans, it said.
When Francis was hospitalised at the end of March the Vatican initially said in a one-line statement that he had gone into the Gemelli for health checks that were previously scheduled.
It later emerged that he had been rushed in after suffering breathing difficulties.
He was diagnosed with bronchitis and stayed in hospital for three nights, before returning to the Vatican to preside over Easter services.
Asked how he felt, he quipped with a big smile, "I am still alive!"
Francis, who has been the leader of the world's 1.3 billion Catholics for a decade, has suffered increasing health issues over the past year.
He has persistent pain in his right knee as well as sciatica, and his hospital stay for bronchitis sparked widespread concern.
- Just in time -
It also fuelled speculation over his future.
Francis' predecessor, Benedict XVI, who died in December, quit in 2013 due to failing health.
For about a year, the pope has had to rely on a wheelchair due to recurring knee pain he has said cannot be treated through surgery.
Asked about his health in an interview with US Spanish-language network Telemundo broadcast in May, Francis said it was "much better".
"I can walk now. My knee has been mending. I could hardly walk beforehand. Now I can. Some days are more painful than others," the pope said.
Francis added that doctors had caught his bronchitis infection just in time.
"If we'd waited a few more hours, it would've been much more serious. But I was out (of hospital) in four days," he said.
Despite his health issues, Francis continues to travel widely.
His next planned trip is to Lisbon on August 2-6 to attend World Youth Day.
But the pope acknowledged in July 2022 that he needed to slow down.
"At my age and with this limitation, I have to save myself a little bit to be able to serve the Church," he said then.
"Or, alternatively, to think about the possibility of stepping aside."
In March, however, he insisted that he had no current plans to quit.
Benedict XVI, who died on December 31 aged 95, surprised the world in 2013 when he announced he was stepping down, a radical move not taken by a pope since the Middle Ages.
L.Miller--AMWN