
-
McLaren's Norris says it's 'our turn' for success
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Trump tariffs spark fears for Asian jobs, exporting sectors
-
Stocks and dollar sink, havens rally as Trump tariffs fan trade war
-
Runners fly to North Korea for first post-Covid Pyongyang Marathon
-
Hamilton rubbishes claims he's lost faith in Ferrari
-
Nintendo Switch 2 sparks excitement despite high price
-
Sri Lanka's crackdown on dogs for India PM's visit sparks protest
-
S Korea police raise security levels ahead of impeachment verdict
-
China vows 'countermeasures' to sweeping new US tariffs
-
Trump jolts allies, foes and markets with tariff blitz
-
France says EU to target US online services after Trump tariffs
-
Tsunoda vows to bring 'something different' after Red Bull promotion
-
Verstappen not happy with Tsunoda-Lawson Red Bull swap
-
Experts accuse 54 top Nicaragua officials of grave abuses
-
Remains of 30th victim of Los Angeles fires found
-
EU to target US online services after Trump tariffs: France
-
How Trump's 'liberation day' tariffs will impact China
-
Malaysia suspends search for long-missing flight MH370
-
Search for long-missing flight MH370 suspended: Malaysia minister
-
Europe hits out at Trump tariffs, keeps door open for talks
-
Myanmar's junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000
-
Lawson vows to prove he belongs in F1 after shock of Red Bull axing
-
Australia sweats through hottest 12 months on record: official data
-
Livestock theft is central to jihadist economy in west Africa
-
South African artist champions hyenas in 'eco-queer' quest
-
Danish PM in 'unity' Greenland visit amid US takeover threats
-
Taiwan says US tariffs 'highly unreasonable'
-
Lawson says ruthless Red Bull axing was 'tough to hear'
-
Heat humble Celtics for sixth straight win, Thunder roll on
-
Trump escalates trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
Japan says US tariffs 'extremely regrettable', may break WTO rules
-
South Koreans anxious, angry as court to rule on impeached president
-
Juve at in-form Roma with Champions League in the balance
-
Injuries put undermanned Bayern's title bid to the test
-
Ovechkin scores 892nd goal -- three away from Gretzky's NHL record
-
Australian former rugby star Petaia signs for NFL's Chargers
-
China says opposes new US tariffs, vows 'countermeasures'
-
Athletics world watching as 'Grand Slam Track' prepares for launch
-
Heat humble Celtics for sixth straight win, Cavs top Knicks
-
Quake-hit Myanmar's junta chief to head to Bangkok summit
-
New Spielberg, Nolan films teased at CinemaCon
-
Shaken NATO allies to meet Trump's top diplomat
-
Israel's Netanyahu arrives in Hungary, defying ICC warrant
-
Shiny and deadly, unexploded munitions a threat to Gaza children
-
Stocks tank, havens rally as Trump tariffs fan trade war
-
Altomare hangs on to tie defending champ Korda at LPGA Match Play
-
Paraguay gold rush leaves tea producers bitter
-
Health concerns swirl as Bolivian city drowns in rubbish
-
Syria says deadly Israeli strikes a 'blatant violation'

'Islamist terror' suspect arrested in deadly Oslo attack
Norwegian police have arrested a man suspected of "Islamist terrorism" after two people were killed and 21 wounded in shootings near a gay bar in Oslo on Saturday, causing the city's Pride march to be cancelled.
But despite the official march being called off, thousands spontaneously gathered throughout the day to march through the Norwegian capital in a display of unity also seen at Pride marches across Europe.
The suspect, who was already known to security services, was arrested quickly after the shooting started around 1:00 am (2300 GMT Friday) in central Oslo.
Norway's domestic intelligence service PST, which is responsible for counter-terrorism, said it was treating the attack as "an act of Islamist terrorism".
The suspect "has a long history of violence and threats," PST's chief Roger Berg said.
The suspect had been on the PST's radar "since 2015 in connection with concerns about his radicalisation" and membership "in an Islamist extremist network", Berg told a news conference.
Intelligence services spoke to the suspect last month, but did not consider him to have "violent intentions", Berg said.
He added that the PST was also aware the suspect had "difficulties with his mental health".
The suspect's lawyer, John Christian Elden, told Norwegian news agency NTB he expected his client to be put under "judicial observation" to determine his mental state, as is usually done in such cases.
The suspect has so far refused to be interviewed by investigators.
Police had earlier said the suspect was a 42-year-old Norwegian man of Iranian descent.
Norwegian media named him as Zaniar Matapour, describing him as a father of Iranian Kurdish origin who arrived in Norway as a child.
The two victims were men in their 50s and 60s, the police said, adding that the injuries of the wounded were not life-threatening.
Police said they received the first reports at 1:14 am and the suspect was arrested just five minutes later, adding that he was quickly apprehended thanks to the "heroic contribution" of bystanders.
- 'We won't disappear' -
Organisers of the Pride march due to take place on Saturday afternoon called it off, saying they were following "clear" recommendations from the police.
Oslo Mayor Raymond Johansen later said that the Pride march -- the first for three years because of the pandemic -- was only postponed and would be held at a later date.
Those who did march on Saturday could be heard shouting: "We're here, we're queer, we won't disappear."
"I think it's fantastic that this march is taking place, otherwise he would have won," a visibly upset participant in her 50s told AFP.
Many people, some in tears, laid rainbow flags and flowers near the scene of the attack, which was cordoned off by police.
Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit struggled to hold back her tears when she went to the scene, which was also visited by Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store and other politicians.
"Today is a day that reminds us that Pride is a day we have to fight for -- the goal has not yet been reached," Trond Petter Aunas said near the scene.
The shootings happened near the London Pub gay club, the Herr Nilsen jazz club and a takeaway food outlet in a central area packed with people on a warm summer night.
- 'Overwhelmed by grief' -
Norway's intelligence services raised the country's threat level from moderate to "extraordinary", saying that the situation remained unclear.
They were looking into whether other attacks could be possible but said that for the moment "we have no indication of this."
Police presence was stepped up throughout the capital and officers -- who do not normally carry guns in Norway -- were instructed to arm themselves.
The attack led to enhanced security for Pride marches taking place across France on Saturday, the French government said.
A moment's silence for the Oslo victims was held at the start of a pride March in Warsaw, where Polish participants were joined by members of Ukraine's LGBT+ community.
French President Emmanuel Macron and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen were among the world leaders condemning the attack.
Norway's premier Store said: "Today was supposed to be a day to celebrate love and brighten our streets in the colours of the rainbow."
"Instead, we are overwhelmed by grief," he told a press conference.
Norway's King Harald V said in a statement that he was "horrified".
Generally peaceful Norway was the scene of bloody attacks on July 22, 2011, when right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people.
Th.Berger--AMWN