
-
Syria says deadly Israeli strikes a 'blatant violation'
-
Financial markets tumble after Trump tariff announcement
-
Starbucks faces new hot spill lawsuits weeks after $50mn ruling
-
Europe riled, but plans cool-headed response to Trump's tariffs
-
'Shenmue' voted most influential video game ever in UK poll
-
New coal capacity hit 20-year low in 2024: report
-
Revealed: Why monkeys are better at yodelling than humans
-
Key details on Trump's market-shaking tariffs
-
'A little tough love': Top quotes from Trump tariff talk
-
US business groups voice dismay at Trump's new tariffs
-
Grealish dedicates Man City goal to late brother
-
US tariffs take aim everywhere, including uninhabited islands
-
Trump sparks trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
Israeli strikes hit Damascus, central Syria; monitor says 4 dead
-
Slot 'hates' offside rule that gave Liverpool win over Everton
-
US stocks end up, but volatility ahead after latest Trump tariffs
-
Barca oust Atletico to set up Clasico Copa del Rey final
-
Mourinho grabs Galatasaray coach's face after losing Istanbul derby
-
Grealish strikes early as Man City move up to fourth in Premier League
-
Reims edge out fourth-tier Cannes to set up PSG French Cup final
-
Liverpool beat Everton as title looms, Man City win without Haaland
-
Jota wins bad-tempered derby as Liverpool move 12 points clear
-
Inter and Milan level in derby Italian Cup semi
-
Stuttgart beat Leipzig to reach German Cup final
-
Trump unveils sweeping global tariffs
-
Italian director Nanni Moretti in hospital after heart attack: media
-
LIV Golf stars playing at Doral with Masters on their minds
-
Trump unveils sweeping 'Liberation Day' tariffs
-
Most deadly 2024 hurricane names retired from use: UN agency
-
Boeing chief reports progress to Senate panel after 'serious missteps'
-
Is Musk's political career descending to Earth?
-
On Mexico-US border, Trump's 'Liberation Day' brings fears for future
-
Starbucks faces new hot spill lawsuit weeks after $50mn ruling
-
Ally of Pope Francis elected France's top bishop
-
'Determined' Buttler leads Gujarat to IPL win over Bengaluru
-
US judge dismisses corruption case against New York mayor
-
Left-wing party pulls ahead in Greenland municipal elections
-
Blistering Buttler leads Gujarat to IPL win over Bengaluru
-
Tesla sales slump as pressure piles on Musk
-
Amazon makes last-minute bid for TikTok: report
-
Canada Conservative leader warns Trump could break future trade deal
-
British band Muse cancels planned Istanbul gig
-
'I'll be back' vows Haaland after injury blow
-
Trump to unveil 'Liberation Day' tariffs as world braces
-
New coach Edwards adamant England can win women's cricket World Cup
-
Military confrontation 'almost inevitable' if Iran nuclear talks fail: French FM
-
US stocks advance ahead of looming Trump tariffs
-
Scramble for food aid in Myanmar city near quake epicentre
-
American Neilson Powless fools Visma to win Across Flanders
-
NATO chief says alliance with US 'there to stay'

Debris falling from the sky: more often, more risk
It is still not clear what exactly fell onto a Kenyan village last month, but such events are likely to become increasingly common given the amount of space debris drifting above the planet.
- What we know
A metallic ring of roughly 2.5 metres (8 feet) in diameter and weighing some 500 kilogrammes (1,100 pounds), crashed into Mukuku village, in Makueni county, in the south of the country on December 30.
The Kenya Space Agency (KSA) has opened an investigation and is examining the possibility that it might have been the separation ring from a rocket.
Other theories have already surfaced however, and a KSA spokesman has said they have not ruled out anything.
- The theories being examined
It is not even certain that what crashed in Kenya came from outer space.
But for Romain Lucken who runs Aldoria, a French start-up that tracks debris in space, it is "absolutely plausible" that it did.
He said he thought it might be part of the upper stage of a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) developed by India's space agency.
"There is a mission that was sent up on December 30 with a return date that fits well, and most of all, a point of re-entry that fits very well, to within a few dozen kilometres," he told AFP.
Aldoria, which has 15 telescopes around the world, searches for information on launches and then works out flight paths based on "the typical trajectories of each of the main launch sites".
But Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, is not convinced.
It was McDowell who identified a piece of the International Space Station (ISS) that crashed down on a house in Florida last April.
"I do not believe this object came from space. Maybe fell off an airplane," he told AFP. "Give me evidence it is space debris."
He has not however entirely ruled out that it is part of an Ariane 5 V184 launch in 2008 that finally returned to earth.
But the French aerospace group told AFP: "This piece does not belong to an element from a European launcher operated by Arianespace."
John Crassidis at New York's SUNY, which works with NASA on space debris, endorsed the assessment released by the Kenya Space Agency.
"I think their technical assessments are 100 percent accurate, and they're going to figure out what country it came from, because every country does things a little bit differently," he said.
While it could be a separation ring from a rocket, as the KSA was considering, it might also have come from the upper stage of a rocket. "Those tend to be smaller," he told AFP.
Christophe Bonnal, a French specialist in space debris, said the debris might have come from a military launcher.
"They are armoured, which fits with the fact that it is very big and heavy," he said. But then it could also have come from a digger or a tank, he added.
- Assessing the risk
So far, at least, such incidents have not caused any deaths, but since the number of space launches is rising, so too are the risks.
"Ten years ago, an object that might create impact fragments re-entered the atmosphere every two weeks," said Stijn Lemmens, a specialist in debris at the European Space Agency (ESA). "Now, that can happen twice a week."
For Lucken, at Aldoria, it is just a question of time.
"It's going to end up falling on critical infrastructure, like a nuclear power station, an oil tanker or homes," he warned.
"It's our Sword of Damocles," said Christophe Bonnal, referring to the parable of the sword suspended by a thread over a ruler's head.
But geography plays in our favour, he added, given that 71 percent of the planet is covered by ocean and 10 percent by deserts. Only 3.3 percent of Earth is densely populated, he said.
So far, said Lucken, about 30,000 pieces of debris measuring more than 10 centimetres have been identified orbiting the earth, and more than a million larger than one centimetre.
All of them were potentially dangerous, he added.
And that catalogue is not an exhaustive list, Bonnal pointed out, since it does not include various military objects launched into space.
"If it's a piece of a US missile, we'll probably never know," he said.
In Europe, said Lucken, there are rules obliging operators to ensure controlled re-entries in uninhabited zones, such as in the South Pacific -- or to be sure such objects would be completely destroyed.
"But that's the theory. Once the mission is launched, anything can happen."
And no one is going to be chasing them to pay out compensation if something goes wrong, he added.
And, as another observer noted, part of the problem lies elsewhere.
China is by far the worst offender, said Crassidis.
"We have these rules, but China and Russia don't really follow any rules."
burs-tsz-agu-tq-neo/jj/gv
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN